Friday, May 10, 2013

Just a thought

HAPPY MEMORIES
I am so proud of myself!! I just stepped out of my comfort zone and did a real (not in school or work) public speech and I nailed it!
I volunteered for the Riverton Professional Networking Group to speak to people who are looking for work. People with brilliant minds and who are eager to find jobs. They showed up for heavens sakes, voluntarily!
I was so nervous to do this, I'm talking heart pumping, hands shaking, nervous. I wrote out an outline for a speech (if you would like the outline without my notes leave a comment or email me and I will forward it to you- I paid good money for it in college!) I practiced at home- in front of my daughter- who didn't pay any attention, but it was important that I hear it out loud. It was a bit of work and a lot of time to prepare. I had to research some things like I was in school again. (Not near as much fun as Facebook and Instagram) It was exciting to learn new things and worth the work!
After prepping and rehearsing I went yesterday morning to finish the project! My topic was interviewing skills and how to remain calm for an interview. I do actually have a lot of experience interviewing people and love to do it! It's a subject I picked because I am passionate about people believing in themselves and not selling themselves short. An interview is an amazingly simple thing that can be a determining factor for your future. It's something that is so simple, yet life changing if it goes well. (I have many, many, tips and ideas. If you would like some of them let me know.)

I walked in hands shaking. I was there to tell people how to be calm and I was not at all calm! During my prep I was told that there has been as few as 5 people and a max of 32- but the room was huge! Enough to seat 60-70 easy! That was intimidating for my 1st speech! At first there were 2 people and I thought- "well this should be easy!" Then the door in the back of the room opened up and at least 20 more people walked in! There were about 30 people total when I had finished. Not a bad turn out!
After my introduction from the director, I was on my own. All eyes on me! Once I started it just came naturally. It was such a rush in the moments/hours/days before. I was nervous and hyped up for nothing because I ended up talking smooth and slow and got in every single point.
Everyone was engaged and asking questions, listening and cracking jokes. Some people were emotional and desperate. What a great feeling for me to watch as they grasped what I was talking about. But the real joy came after I finished. I don't think there was a single person that didn't stop me on my way out to introduce themselves and tell me a little about their journey. They shook my hand and told me thank you. I was told over and over that I presented some good ideas and advice that has changed their outlook and built up their confidence already. Little did they know that they have done the same for me.
I was so amazed at the knowledge that sat in that room listening to little ol' me. (Ok, I'm kind of a big deal in my own head, but in the scheme of things I'm just me) I met an engineer, an IT guy, a fundraising coordinator, a construction manager, a guy that worked for NASA! NASA!! And many other intelligent people.  Jobs that are so important I don't even understand what they do for a living. It was inspiring to hear their stories and listen to what they are going through to find a job. Most of them older than I and feeling like their age is the biggest obstacle they are fighting. Taking dates off their resume so that they can at least be called for an interview. It's a scary thing to think that we are pushing this age group out of the workforce to hire less experienced, younger people for less money. In my head I feel like it would be worth the money to pay for the knowledge they have gained over the years to teach all of us young bucks some skills. That the years of training and life they have above and beyond us would be beneficial, not detrimental to their resume. One day they are going to be gone and it's going to be us in their shoes. If you are in any position to help or hire or even just listen or give advice to the "older than us" generation, I ask that you do. It is so easy to pay less in wages but what are we giving up? Think about it.

Anyway- There is my soapbox- I will now step off and finish with a few more thoughts. I have volunteered in the past and it really does make me feel wonderful inside! I'm thinking that we all need to get together to volunteer. Let me know if you want in and what you'd like to do.
ALSO

Later this weekend we have another fabulous woman who wants to share a story about why she is amazing!
Remember to send me your accomplishment- we all want to cheer for you!
 
PLANS
May 18th we will be doing our vision boards. I have had about 8 people RSVP so far- If they all bring a friend we should be sitting at about 15-20 people. (I'm going to count on that many. But if you haven't RSVP'd yet I will still have room for you. Just let me know ASAP. Much more than that and I will change the location so the sooner I know, the better) If you are coming please check the link above for the items you will need to bring. I will post a location later this week when I have all the RSVP's confirmed.

June 22nd- The Color Me Rad 5k. There are still tickets available for this race. Our team info and all the links are listed here.

CONTACT ME
You can leave a comment if you don't mind others seeing or you can email me at LadiesAllDay@gmail.com I look forward to hearing your thoughts and stories.

Much love,
Leslie

1 comment:

  1. I think I may need your interview expertise after I have the baby. I have needed a change for a long time.....don't know when I will actually pull the trigger but I may as well prepare. Call me or email me. 8019212366

    Allison

    ReplyDelete